Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ideas and Content

My writing relates to what we have been learning in class and is relevant to class discussions. You can tell what the essay is about as it makes sense. In the alchemist essay, I state my topic and details to support ideas which I state. I included relevant quotations from the book in order to prove my statements which I said in the essay. From these quotes, i explained after why and how they link are relate to the main idea of the paragraph. In the Julius Caesar, I forgot about some of the mistakes that I made in the alchemist essay, however the writing makes sense and stays on a clear and focused topic. The class discussions helped me analyze quotes from the play, 'Julius Caesar' hence I knew more of what to write about int he essay. By being able to analyze the play better, I could include relevant details and interesting ideas into my main paragraphs.

Organization

In my alchemist essay, I started the essay off with an interesting quote, "“It is I who dared to do so’ – Many lives will be saved, because I was able to see through the soul of the world.” (Coelho 105)" and I stated that this suggests that Santiago has been able to impact the lives of others. My thesis statement is clearly at the bottom of the first paragraph, however my body paragraphs did not start with a clear topic sentence to explain what the paragrapph would be about. When I was stating a quote, I included context before introducing the quote so that would give the readers a brief overview of what is happening prior the quote. My body paragraphs finish with a transition sentence and the conclusion, a summarizing setence. However my conclusion is fairly weak and does not summarize everything I had been talking about.
In my Julius Caesar esasy, I did not do so well in organization due to the lack of time for preparation. The essay has a boring start which does not grab the readers attention. The thesis statement is evident in the last sentence of the first paragraph, and my body paragraphs all start with a clear topic sentence. I explain what is happening before the quotation is introduced, but I did not do so well in transitioning paragraphs to another. My conclusion however was strong and it summarized all my ideas and tied back to the introduction of the essay.

Personal Growth

Although I had less time to prepare to write the inclass Julius Caesar essay, i recieved a better grade on the Julius Caesar essay, which I think is a sign of improvement. Even though my essay planner was not very detailed, I managed to expand from smaller ideas into larger and detailed paragraphs. Compared to my alchemist essay, I think I managed to do better on oragnizing my essay so that the essay would flow well together.

SLR Reflection
Choose one SLR and discuss how you access this SLR when crafting an esay.

Reasoning critically, the class discussions in humanities helped me out on writing my Julius Caesar essay as I had gotten a more clearer understanding over the story. Starting off the Julius Caesar unit wondering how confusing Shakespeare's writing would be. However through in-class essays, as a class we solved out and found the deeper meaning of a certain part and scene in the play. In my essay, I applied what we had discussed and learned during the in-class discussions to prove parts of my essay.

No comments: